[Airship-discuss] Divestiture

MCEUEN, MATT MM9745 at att.com
Wed Jun 19 14:29:23 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen,

Don’t worry, the discussion is still very active.  But yes, we still are planning to incorporate ironic using metal kubed.  A driver for that to reduce the amount of custom code that Airship needs to drive provisioning – in the target state, the plan is metal kubed + cluster API will care for,

  *   Ironic-based machine provisioning
  *   Kubeadm-based cluster management
  *   Declarative interfaces for the above

Like you said, this does present a chicken and egg problem around using a k8s cluster to provision a k8s cluster.  We’re designing for that now – in some use cases an ephemeral cluster can be spun up, and in some there would be a centralized management cluster (we call this “cloud harbor”) already.  We have notes, draft design docs, and design meeting recordings if you’re interested,  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_OpenDesignDiscussions
and you’re most welcome to join the design discussion as well (times listed on our wiki https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Airship)

Thanks,
Matt