[Airship-discuss] Divestiture

Stephen Nemeth kbaegis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 15:01:09 UTC 2019

Thank you for the inclusion and the links!

My core concern with this approach is that it excludes or invalidates use-cases for airship; hence the title.

Is it possible to design the inclusion of M^3 and cluster-api in a manner that doesn’t preclude using an ironic-drydock integration in the future that’s more lightweight (absent the chicken/egg issue)?

Ironic standalone is incredibly lightweight and flexible. The footprint doesn’t require any complex clustering, key exchange, etc and it makes a very nice starting point for bootstrapping infrastructure. You can get started with some image blobs and a python venv.

By comparison, a multi-tiered or ephemeral kubernetes clustering schema is going to give a lot of folks headaches trying to wrap their heads around and troubleshoot. As a consequence, it’s going to be more difficult to maintain and support. It may also couple your solutions to particular versions, operating systems, or network architectures with fewer workarounds as a side-effect.

In my particular case, I use ironic-standalone on a MacBook. I made efforts to containerize it, however my container runtime doesn’t play nice with dhcp/tftp in particular (https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/networking/). Fortunately, everything is nicely decoupled and the pxe/ipxe interfaces for ironic just need to be pointed at a directory to function. If we start from the assumption that everything is operating in a container provided by a particular registry then this would invalidate my approach and I believe that I would be blocked on using airship for a deployment.

I’ll try to make that meeting and maybe we can figure this out then.

Thanks,

Stephen