[Airship-discuss] Airship Community Events: US Daylight Savings Time

MCEUEN, MATT MM9745 at att.com
Wed Mar 11 14:04:44 UTC 2020

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the feedback; that's definitely something we'll keep in mind as we want to encourage/include Airship collaborators from around the globe.  A couple things which have led us to our present mode of operation:

It's not only the US that suffers from DST - most areas in Europe and North America observe it (albeit start/end times don't always align).  Since that's where the majority of Airship contributors are, we want to avoid conflicts/confusion on their behalf when possible.

The US itself is a broad country, and since we have many contributors on the west coast, we need to be considerate of their ability to join in the early morning -- balanced against the ability of contributors in the eastern hemisphere to join as well at the end of their day.  That doesn't leave a lot of good time slots, and when DST changes, commitments like school start times, traffic patterns, etc. change with them.  We've added recording to all of our audio-based calls to help ensure clarity & openness with collaborators unable to attend.

We've explored many different schemes over the last few years, in an effort to encourage participation from additional countries - fixed UTC time, recurring meeting voting, alternating times, multiple meetings, etc.  At the end of the day, the folks working on Airship are the folks who attend their working meetings, and we need to serve them.  We are always completely open to adjusting meeting times, formats, etc, but experience has shown to me that those decisions need to be made by & for the participants, rather than in an effort to entice folks to become participants.

As someone who thinks DST is a terrible idea, I hope we can escape from the whole confusing mess at some point!  In the meantime, I think we'll just need to try to manage the confusion as best we can.  Next time we'll do a better job of communicating this ahead of time.

Thanks!
Matt