[Airship-discuss] RAID Config Implementation

MCEUEN, MATT MM9745 at att.com
Wed May 26 21:17:24 UTC 2021

Thanks for sharing & summarizing this, Zainub.

Phil, Craig, Greg, Darren, (& anyone else with experience with RAID config today) – here are my thoughts; please refine/agree/disagree with them so we can give the Metal3 community good feedback on the interface we need for declarative RAID config.

First: long term, we want to be able to declaratively configure all the BIOS settings that need to be configured.  Steps like this RAID config are a valuable step in that direction.

Second: I think there are use cases for both of these setups, and I’d advocate for M3 facilitating both of them in the long run*:

  1.  Strongly declarative: I want a RAID-N array on ControllerX with disks [DiskY, DiskZ]
  2.  Declarative with hints: I want a RAID-N array with two SSDs (and I don’t care what disk or what controller – you figure it out, M3!)
* Rook supports something similar – “use all disks:yes/no”, or alternately “use these specific disks:…”

Third: I think that #1 is a good fit for our most common use cases, where we put a lot of work into a reference definition, and then stamp it out many times on identical hardware.  This is also the simplest implementation and would probably get something usable into Airship’s hands fastest.

Does that sound right to you all?

The other thing to consider is thresholding when disks are bad.  I.e. a config item that says something like, “tolerate disk failures as long as I get Xgb” or “as long as I get 3 disks” or something.  Do you think this is critical enough to be needed on Day 1?

Thanks!
Matt