[Airship-discuss] airshipctl remotedirect POC

Kanwar Saad kanwar.sbl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 08:36:39 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am planning to start contributing on remotedirect code for airshipctl(or
join forces with anyone who is already working). For that, I was
investigating Redfish APIs.  I have a couple of questions to start with:

1. There is no good golang client for redfish. What I have investigated is
that we need couple of REST API calls for the bootstrap operation. So
should we create a small redfish util library in airshipctl itself or
should it be a separate project or if anyone has any idea about a good go
client for redfish? I have a minimal redfish go client for testing, we can
start maturing it if we want to go with that approach.

2. For setting the CD image in redfish, it requires a HTTP(s) endpoint to
download ISO file. After generation of ISO locally where should we put it
so that it is visible to redfish server. Do we have any design decision
about that? Or do we have a totally different way of pushing the ISO image
which I am not aware of?

3. Redfish server would be managing multiple Systems. You can get a list of
Systems it is managing from "redfish/v1/Systems" endpoint. How do we select
a system for the ephemeral host? Should it be provided via config or we
just randomly select one of the systems from the list? In the latter case,
how do we ensure that any selected system should have minimal requirements
for the ephemeral host?

Br,
Kanwar Saad
Ericsson Software Technologies