[Airship-discuss] IPAM for Airship

MEADOWS, ALAN am240k at att.com
Fri Sep 20 16:14:31 UTC 2019

I think we may intertwining two separate needs.

The first and most urgent need is to understand how we will declare the static IP assignments for each baremetal host up front, much like we do within Airship 1.0.  I disagree that MaaS behaves as an IPAM service – for the most part all it does is enforce the static assignments we declare within Drydock BaremetalNode documents as in here:
https://github.com/airshipit/treasuremap/blob/master/site/seaworthy/baremetal/nodes.yaml#L48-L86

I missed the latest bootstrap-sig call, however when we were initially discussing this one very simple way to get started with this is to represent the network configuration as cloud-init data in the BareMetalHost  (BMH) CRD.  There is support for that now without introducing any additional CRDs or fields.

The second need you are addressing, where files/CRs like “common-addresses” become more important and have definitions for all the various subnets--abstracted from specific machines, is supporting a more liberal IP assignment mechanism in Airship 2.0, where users need only define subnets, and we can support allocating addresses automatically.  This is where IPAM truly becomes a requirement but I think it is premature to look at this and feel this may be a subsequent step to delivering static functionality.

Alan Meadows