[Airship-discuss] [SIG-YAML] Draft substitution spec

MCEUEN, MATT MM9745 at att.com
Thu Feb 20 22:33:43 UTC 2020

Airship SIG-YAML team,

As discussed in Monday's call:  although Kustomize supports great layering capabilities that fit Airship's need for overriding YAML values at for different use cases, operators, and sites, it does not offer a clean approach to achieve variable resolution / substitution that we need to avoid copying and pasting of values that should be shared across multiple resources (e.g. images, endpoints, certificates).  We decided to continue using Kustomize for layering, and to explore alternatives for substitution.

I've put up a draft spec we can use as a strawman, to see whether it fits the bill and whether any alternatives would be preferable.  We'll discuss this coming Monday, but feedback in the doc would be welcome if you get time before then!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z_DzbKZLjT-etddOVwQDEH7Yi9QyLIQw572Nx4ugmZk/edit#

Thanks,
Matt