[Airship-discuss] Airship Logo

James Cole james at openstack.org
Tue Jun 19 21:16:07 UTC 2018

Thanks for the feedback, Frank!

I understand your point about not recognizing the shape without the word mark—that was something we struggled with when designing since “airships” or blimps don’t tend to be very recognizable as shapes on their own without being more illustrative than something that works well as a logo. They could easily be mistaken for a torpedo or an unusual American football. Encapsulating the airship in an “A” shape helps give it some visual interest without leaning too hard on the airship shape alone. Also, we wanted to avoid using the airship shape on its own as to avoid brand confusion with Urban Airship.

In terms of simplifying the mark, that is certainly something we can explore. Although, the limited complexity in the mark as it stands gives the airship some dimension, both to suggest the airship shape is round and to reference the negative space you might find in the cutout of a capital “A” letter. The jet was to help give the airship shape some perspective, but we can certainly show it without the jet if thats something people would like to see.

-James