[Airship-discuss] Airship installation

valleru at cbio.mskcc.org valleru at cbio.mskcc.org
Thu May 2 21:22:23 UTC 2019

Thank you.
The reason i am asking is because, my goals of using Airship goes much beyond using it just for Openstack.

We are a full CentOS7 HPC cluster with about 800 servers/nodes working together as a supercomputer.

Currently,
For baremetal/VM deployment- i use Foreman together with Hiera and various yaml files/tags/facts that i get for different servers. Once deployed - puppet then configures the OS on baremetal nodes depending on the same tags/facts/yaml files from Hiera.

I see that - Airship uses a similar declarative design with yaml but deploys services on containers.

My goal was to use Airship and see if i can deploy both baremetal servers and openstack/VMs using the same yaml files.
It would thus be more like Infrastructure as a code.

I am not sure if this would be the correct approach, or if i have to deploy Openstack and instead use Openstack Ironic to deploy the baremetal nodes.
The issue with the Openstack Ironic approach is that i want to use the same declarative yaml design that airship uses to deploy ironic nodes too, and i am not sure how much would that be possible.
Also - I want to use the same approach to deploy instances on public cloud too, so may be using Openstack Ironic would be a better way to go.

If it is currently not possible to do any of the above -  I would like to know, if there is way that i could get involved in future road-maps and see if this could be one of the directions that airship can help me.

Also - would it be too difficult for me to try if Airship can work with MAAS and deploy CentOS7 instead of Ubuntu?

Regards,
Lohit