[Airship-discuss] RAID Config Implementation

Mahnoor Asghar mahnoor.asghar at xflowresearch.com
Thu May 27 08:44:57 UTC 2021

Thank you for your email, Matt.

About the Airship use cases:
1. The strongly declarative one would be easy to support via Metal3, to the
best of my knowledge. This would be perfect as long as the Airship user is
okay with finding out the disk and RAID controller names through other
means (using iDRAC, for example). It would also be an easier and valuable
implementation.
2. Metal3 will perform the disk selection itself (or delegate to Ironic).

Providing some level of guarantee for the disk failures would contribute to
a reliable user experience. For the declarative case, we can perhaps ensure
that the specified disks are functional. For the specification with hints,
I suggest making the disk capacity a metric that must always be satisfied
(e.g. x GB always provided).

Input on these requirements is much appreciated, so we can carry the
discussion forward with the Metal3 community and get to implementation.
Thank you so much!

Regards,