[Airship-discuss] [BMO][HCC] New Project Hardware-Classification-Controller for Hardware validation and labelling

Digambar Patil digambarpat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:17:18 UTC 2020

Hi Airship,

We (DellTeam) have started hardware-classification-controller project under
Metal3 repo some days back after having multiple discussions with Metal3
community.
HCC proposal -  https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-docs/pull/60
Idea here is to classify Hosts and label the Host CR's which is matching to
provided profile which will be helpful for user to fetch all the labelled
hosts based on profiles and plan for futher provisioning.

Currently we are implementing classification filter for supporting Minimum
hardware configuration.
https://github.com/metal3-io/hardware-classification-controller/pull/3
We are closely working with Metal3 community since last couple of weeks.

I also had brought this topic couple of times in our last meetings to
finalize the Profiles for Airship. I have filed couple of issues under
Airshipctl repo.
Define Host profile - https://github.com/airshipit/airshipctl/issues/78
Document for deployment of HCC CRD -
https://github.com/airshipit/airshipctl/issues/79
Define Labels for HCC - https://github.com/airshipit/airshipctl/issues/80

I have also attached sample Minimum Hardware configuration CR file. Request
everyone to review attached file.

Looking at broader goals for edge level baremetal node deployment, I
believe we are having multiple hardware profiles or scenarios. I request
you all to send multiple hardware profiles/scenarios for edge so that I
will design hardware profile for HCC.

Matt McEuen -  I am fine working closely with you for designing hardware
profiles and other baremetal plans.

Thanks,
Digambar